Should I Upgrade My Cable Modem When I Upgrade My Internet Plan?
Today’s home network is under more strain than ever before. If are considering upgrading to the next speed tier of your Internet Service Provider but are unsure if your current cable modem is up to the task, here are some things you need to consider:
- Your new speed plan – will your modem be able to support those speeds?
- Phone service – do you currently have phone service through your ISP or do you plan to get it in the near future?
- Adding more devices – will you be adding more devices to your home network?
- Work from Home/Learn from Home – will you need to work or learn from home more regularly?
- Wireless connections needed – will you need to move around your home with devices such as tablets, smartphones and laptops?
Cable Modem Technology Options
Which should you get? A Cable Modem or a Cable Modem Router combination?
Cable modem – is a hardware device that uses a coax cable to connect your computer devices with your Internet service provider (ISP). A cable modem connects to the Internet.
Cable modem router – connects to the Internet and distributes the internet connection to multiple devices. The benefit with a cable modem router is that you have one device instead of a separate cable modem and router.
Having the right features on your cable modem or cable modem router, your internet experience will be better.
- Fast speeds
- Reliable Internet connection
- Easy to set up and manage
- Supports remote troubleshooting
- DOCSIS compatibility for more bandwidth channels
- MoCA support
Additional Features to Consider:
- Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 Compatibility –A cable modem router must perform at its best as a modem and router. Therefore, the latest DOCSIS standard (3.1) and the latest Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6) are a must to be the heart of your wireless home network.
- Multi-Gigabit Speeds –Ensure you have the speeds you need for HD video streaming and lag-free online gaming experiences.
- Full Coverage with Bonded MoCA 2.0 – MoCA lets you easily extend your home Wi-Fi network throughout your home.
You should consider a cable modem upgrade if:
- You are an avid online gamer in need of a reliable, fast connection to reduce lag.
- You need a reliable, fast connection for video conference calls.
- You want to enjoy video streaming without buffering.
- You have a lot of people in your home connecting to the Internet at the same time.
- You just want a good Internet connection!
For more information about cable modems, cable routers, or other home networking solutions check out Hitron’s Learn Page.